Purple Passion Flower
Taken two days later-a newly opened Purple Passion Flower
So this find might be one of my favorites as of late- the Purple Passion Flower-interesting in it's looks for sure, but even more it's symbolism.
In the late 15th and 16th century the Spanish Christians adopted the unique physical structures of this plant as symbols of the last living days of Jesus Christ.
- The pointed tips are symbolic of the Holy Lance that pierced the ribs of Jesus while on the crucifix.
- The tendrils indicate the whips that used in the flagellation of Christ
- The 10 petals represent the 12 faithful apostles (minus Peter and Judas)
- The flower's redial filaments represent the "Crown of Thorns."
- The chalice shaped ovary with it's receptacle represents a hammer of the Holy Grail
- The 3 stigmas represent the 3 nails that pierced the flesh of Jesus wrists and feet and the 5 anthers below the 5 wounds
- The color purple represents "Royalty" the color of Kings.