Monday, June 11, 2012

Ahhh - Artichokes







What can I say, the largest of Thistles they are spectacular. I was out enjoying a long walk/photo session last Friday and was thrilled to come across these. I saw them from a football field away(okay so it wasn't quite a football field,but it was a half block or so) and knew immediately they would warrant several photo ops. In my book they are an incredible work of art. Up until a couple of years ago, I had no idea they could be grown here, but in fact they grow quite readily in full sun. The leaves are an unusual deeply lobed silvery green, so unusual you would notice them being different even before the flower or fruit appear. The flowers develop from a large head from an edible bud (the artichoke) the individual floret is a spectacular purple thistle flower-gorgeous!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...