Monday, June 4, 2012

Clouds





I am not entirely sure what this type of cloud is called. To back up just a bit, my husband travels fairly often around the West Texas area, and on this particular day he had been on a day trip somewhere fairly close to town. He wasn't home long when he commented about the cloud formations he saw that day-how they looked like waves. I didn't think another thing of it, but as luck would have it, we ended up taking out on a photo scouting expedition that evening and sure enough the clouds were still unusual from our typical clouds.

A little research turned up a type of cloud called Kelvin Helmholz clouds-the breaking wave forms are the result of shearing winds up at cloud level. It seems like I remember having rain on and off a couple of days previously-plus somewhat cooler temps. I wonder if this is an accurate identification of cloud type-you can see in the bottom pick wave type clouds still intact-perhaps for the most part the formation was in the process of breaking up-or I could be totally incorrect in my identification. Either way they were not typical and very interesting. Oh! and if you work for NOAA give me a shout out as to what cloud type these beauties are-I would love to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...